- The “New Maintainers’ Guide” which describes building a Debian package in common language, including many working examples. Anyone just getting started with developing or packaging should definitely read this.
A couple of ASIDES:
In the first aside I want to mention that management has taken under consideration the complaints that we are not following as eco friendly policies regarding janitorial supplies. As a result, an online wholesale store for such products has been found that does sell green products including paper products that are dye and fragrance free. All toilet paper, multifold paper towels that are found in dispensers in all areas with a sink, tissues etc will meet and exceed both the EPA and CPG requirements. In addition, as many janitorial cleaning supplies as possible will also contain contain no Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC), and / or use 99% all-natural ingredients such as essential oils and coconut-based cleaners. In addition the plastic cups used at the water fountain for cold water are now 100% renewable, BPI certified compost-able and ASTM compliant. We will continue with the recycling program and welcome any additional feedback.
In this aside the Debian Release Team, in cooperation with the Debian Infrastructure Team, want to mention that they have contacted a group of medical professionals who practice age management medicine and is willing to give discounts to those Debian employees who are interested in becoming clients. Age management medicine focuses on maintaining or regaining optimal health while delaying the onset of signs and symptoms associated with aging. Those of you who are approaching your 50’s or 60’s may want to check out. Even if you are in your 40’s and beginning to experience some of the earlier symptoms associated with aging such as loss of muscle mass, slower recovery from exercise and injuries, a decline in sexual function, an increase in abdominal fat, bone thinning, poorer skin quality, loss of strength and cardiovascular conditioning, and slower brain function (which none of us can afford to have), age management medicine may be an option you should consider. The age management group of physicians will create individualized complete plan for each person who signs up that includes education, healthy nutrition, and exercise programs, along with medical interventions where warranted, related to balancing and optimizing hormone levels, vitamin / herbal treatments, anti-oxidant and other cellular protective medicines along with general preventative medicine. An extensive set of blood tests will be done, as well as taking your complete medical history. Debian will off set some of the expenses since unfortunately our present medical insurance policy will not cover the costs. Let us know if you are interested.
- Debian Policy Manual – this gives policy requirements for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution, including the structure and contents of the Debian archive, OS design issues, and technical requirements for individual packages.
- Related documents available include: the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS), a list of required locations for directories or files, a list of build-essential packages (packages you are expected to have before you try to build any package, or a set of packages that you don’t have to include in your package’s
Build-Dependsline), and menu system documentation.
- Specific policy documentation also includes: MIME support documentation, Emacs policy, Java policy, Perl policy, Python policy, Debian CLI Policy (for Mono, other CLRs and CLI based applications and libraries), configuration management subsystem “debconf” specification, a spelling dictionaries and tools sub-policy (ispell / myspell dictionaries and word lists), and a sub-policy for web-based applications.
- Draft documents that may be useful: Webapps Policy Manual, PHP Policy (Packaging standards of PHP, Database Application Policy (a set of guidelines and best practices for database application packages), Tcl/Tk Policy (everything regarding Tcl/Tk packaging),
Note that the old Packaging Manual has mostly been integrated into the recent versions of the Policy Manual.